Friday, September 24, 2010

MAHLIKAH AWERI: Diaspora Dialogues Emerging Artist in Poetry 2010



I am who I am
I b who I b
The one angelheart
Mahlikah Aweri


I follow that ancient afro-native prophecy
All Things Must Be Shaken
I am that child of corn
Taken sometimes forsaken
Left out of our forefather’s will
Instead of inheriting the earth
I received hand me downs
Societal ills and like oil
The blood of my people still spills
Flooding sound waves
Polyphonic/Stetsasonic/Reverberations
Breaking the colonial sound barrier at the speed of light
I am a Red Slam Collective member
We create Spoken Lyricism Arranging Meaning
We fight the good fight
Am I a spoken word success
Or Toronto Poetry SLAM Semi-Final sacrifice?
Are my words truly a beacon of light?
Life is soooo precious
Sooo precious to me
So I celebrate my 3 seeds constantly
My motherhood
Mothered in the hood
I be a testament that good can come from the hood
Sometimes I feel completely misunderstood
Cuz I grew up in the Meeting Place
My Roots are Atlantic Shores etched in my Mig’Maw eyes
Haudenosaunee false face


I write
I write rhymes
I write lessons for the youth
I write poetic truths
I write hip hop so I can write the blues
I write proposals for change
I write courses for immigrant and newcomer women to become engaged
I write and I speak
I speak and I am spoken
Vocalizing matrixities cuz I am the one who was chosen


Dramatist
Dancer
Teacher
Cultural Arts Facilitator
Herbal Healer
8 bar metaphorical syllabetic beat dealer
Turtle Truth Rooted
Never Convoluted
Blk Star Shinning
Rizin’ Red Sun
My Endz never split
My Endz are never done

I am who I am
I b who I b
The one angelheart
Mahlikah Aweri

No comments:

Post a Comment