Saturday, October 9, 2010

JOYCE WAYNE: Diaspora Dialogues Emerging Artist in Fiction 2010



When you’re my age, 59, being included in the Diaspora Dialogues literary mentorship program is the most rewarding experience imaginable. This year I completed my first novel, The Cook’s Temptation and I also began writing short stories focused on the 1947 spy trials of Soviet sympathizers in Canada. Robin Maharaj is my mentor and his editorial comments have been so helpful that I can envision writing more stories (maybe even a novel) based on the tragic characters embroiled in the start of the Cold War. I think this is called “finding your voice.”

My day job is as the head of the Media for Global Professionals program at Sheridan College. Right now I’m leading a research project investigating the relationship between diversity arts organizations and “mainstream arts” in the GTA. By the way, it was a former student of mine, and an emerging voice in last year’s Diaspora Dialogues contest, Mayank Bhatt, who encouraged me to submit my story to the 2010 competition. I’m so thankful that he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment